Website updated Nov 2018
The Machine Knitters Guild of San Diego (MKGSD) is an independent non-profit service organization founded in 1983. It is comprised of a diverse group of people interested in machine knitting and other related fiber-arts skills. All skill levels are represented: beginners, hobbyists, dealers, professionals and instructors.
One of the goals of the MKGSD is to promote the art and enjoyment of machine knitting by:
(Graphic courtesy of Theresa A. Husarik, © January, 2003.)
- Demonstrating the use of knitting machines at the San Diego County Fair;
- Encouraging guild members to enter their creative works in the Fair (many gorgeous knits have won ribbons);
- Sharing projects and ideas at monthly meetings and workshops;
- Putting on seminars (open to the public) by local, national and international demonstrators on various topics such as knitting techniques, pattern drafting, motif designing, working with knitting software programs (DAK, DAP, PPD); and
- Encouraging members to attend classes at Foothills Adult School to further their skills, share their accomplishments and take pleasure in camaraderie with fellow knitters.
We also enjoy assisting worthy organizations in our community by:
Donating our knitted items (baby blankets, hats, booties, afghans, sweaters, chemotherapy turbans and more) to various local charities, hospitals and hospices.